Quote on Reddit: Reddit is a popular social media platform that allows users to discuss among themselves on a particular topic of interest or vote on a piece of content submitted by some other member. This way, the users can get an opinion about a particular content and how beneficial it is to the other users. In order to control spam on the site, Reddit offers karma points which are based on the number of times a particular content posted by you gets up-voted or down-voted by other users. Another very popular feature is called Sub-Reddits which are smaller communities based on a particular topic of interest and brings together a group a people who want to discuss the same topic.
If you are a regular user of Reddit, then you must be knowing the many advantages it has over other social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, etc. You must have also noticed the unique features it boasts like creating your own topic in a subreddit, responsive multi-threaded commenting and quoting someone else’s quote as a reference while commenting. Talking about the latter, Reddit allows you to create a quote block in a comment (it could be a part of the original topic or anything else)as a reference. If you still do not know how to use this feature, you should check out this guide as we are going to explain how to quote on Reddit in a step by step method.
How to Quote on Reddit: A Simple 10 Step Guide
Here we are going discuss the steps you need to follow to quote a block of text in a comment posted either by the original creator of the post or someone else. The procedure is fairly simple and all you need to do is follow the steps listed below carefully
- STEP 1: Open Reddit by visiting https://www.reddit.com/ from a desktop browser like Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox on Windows PC or Safari on Mac. If you are not signed in, click log-in on the top right corner of the page to sign it to Reddit.
- STEP 2: Now find the post where you want to insert a quote as a comment. Once found, open the title of the post to open it.
- STEP 3: Now scroll down to the comments and find the one from where you want to quote the text block. If you want to quote a piece of text from the original post, then you do not need to scroll down to the comment section.
- STEP 4: First click and then drag your mouse cursor to select and highlight the entire text block you want to quote.
- STEP 5: Now copy the text you just selected. You can press Ctrl + C if you are on a Windows PC or Command + C if you are using a Mac.
- STEP 6: Scroll down to the “Comment as” text box and click the Quotation icon found on the text editor. It is essentially a set of quotation marks and clicking on it will enable you to post a piece of text as a Quote
NOTE: If you want to reply to a particular comment, you need to first click on Reply just below the comment to open the text editor.
- STEP 7: Now press Ctrl + V if you are on Windows or Command + V on a Mac to paste your copied text block. You should now see the text block just beside the quotation symbol.
- STEP 8: Press Enter once to go to a new line and then press Backspace once to remove the quote formatting option.
- STEP 9: Now type whatever you want to comment in response to the quote posted by you. Your typed text should appear below the piece of quoted text
- STEP 10: Finally, click on Comment tab found on the right bottom corner of the text editor box. This will post your comment along with the quoted text. If you are replying to a particular comment, click on Reply instead.
NOTE: If you want to use quote blocks while using the Reddit mobile app, you can do so by simply putting a “>” sign at the beginning of each line.
By now, you should have understood how to quote on Reddit, whether it is a part of a comment or a separate reply. It is also interesting to note that now you can also quote someone in a comment while using the Reddit mobile app. This feature was not available in the app earlier.